Monday, July 30, 2012

Music Educator, Sue Halloway, retires after 33 years


Sue Halloway has taught for 33 years, and all of them were in Sauk Prairie. After attending Whitefish Bay High School, Halloway spent a year at Indiana University and then took a semester off to travel and bowl in the AMF World Cup in Singapore. She returned to complete her music education degree at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she also earned her master’s degree.
“I think the most challenging situation occurred two years ago when budget cuts threatened teaching positions in our district and we cut our fifth-grade band program and musicals,” she said. “Fortunately, we have been able to maintain all of those programs through parent and community support.”
Halloway repeated her often stated philosophy to students: “ It’s the journey, not the destination. Take risks!”
She wouldn’t offer words of advice to colleagues, however.
“There are just too many unknowns,” she said.
“I have enjoyed everything and every minute (of teaching in Sauk Prairie). The kids have been great; I have had the opportunity to work with an amazing parent group; have been fortunate enough to work with a wonderful staff and administration and have appreciated the wonderful support of the music program by the community,” she said. “Every year I tell my students that they don’t know who they haven’t met yet that will make a difference in their lives. I have begun every year with those very thoughts and am thankful to all of the people I have met along the way that have made a difference in my life and the lives of my students. Thank you for 33 wonderful and memorable years.”
Halloway said she plans to do some private teaching and might work with the fifth-grade band. She also might want to perform and judge, but golf, bowling, travel and time with her parents also are on her list.
“I think I can finally identify with all of the seniors. I have had 33 years to decide what I want to do when I grow up and graduate from High School and I’m not quite sure where that path will lead,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment